.she is.

Though she is a material girl, she is also a plain jane. She may be a party animal. But all she wants, is to be loved and cared.

.past.
.shout.

Coming back at me
Watching the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy is like shouting back at myself. Part of the episode was about how the new Head of Trauma used pigs as human substitutes to teach the residents and interns in the event of emergency. He had about 5 pigs, anesthetized, and he used a knife and gave every pig a stab. Izzy (one of the resident) was furious about how the pigs were treated.

It is like a mirror reflecting my every day work. Recently I have started wondering if the mouse feels any pain when I cervical dislocate it. It seems to be painless - they don't make noise, they just die peacefully. But at the very moment when you do it, was there a tiny fraction of a second that they felt pain?

To think about it, these ethical issues actually put us, researchers, in a difficult position. Probably not so much in Singapore, as we don't see many extremists and people who oppose to animal testings. But the nature of our work will allow some people to judge us in a bias manner, which may become a disadvantage to us.

But still, I love my job. Sometimes the experiments can get a little mundane, but I enjoy what I am doing. Many people don't see me as a research scientist, it doesn't come across to them that I would in this field. I don't see myself as one either, but I am one.